Equity Advisory

Are you looking for an honest, transparent and independent equity research and advisory? www.intelsense.in is run by Abhishek Basumallick for retail investors. Subscribe for long term wealth creation.

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Questions on constructing a portfolio

When I first seriously thought about building an investment portfolio, I had a lot of questions that came to my mind. What I wanted was to build a portfolio that would help me build a sizable capital over a period of time. The plan was that I would add to the portfolio periodically and build up positions. The time-frame that I had (and still have) was around 15 years.

The questions at the top of my mind were:
  1. How many stocks should the portfolio hold?
  2. What is the maximum percentage that a single stock should be within the portfolio? 
  3. When should I sell? Should I have target prices?
  4. How much cash should be there in the portfolio?
  5. Should I have stop losses?
I though that answering these questions were very important to be prepared for building a log term portfolio. I will try to take you through my thoughts on each of these questions on subsequent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment