Equity Advisory

Are you looking for an honest, transparent and independent equity research and advisory? www.intelsense.in is run by Abhishek Basumallick for retail investors. Subscribe for long term wealth creation.

Friday 30 December 2011

Portfolio Performance - 2011


2011 was an interesting and eventful year (probably like any other). For the Indian equity markets, it was full of fears that was imported from first US and then Europe. This year started with the Sensex at 20509 and Nifty at 6134. It closed the year at 15455 and 4624 respectively. This amounted to a decline of 24.6% on the Sensex. Along with the general market, my portfolio also fell. For the whole year, the portfolio was down 15.19%. That is a substantial percentage. The fall was especially vicious during the last couple of months. When I look back, the portfolio was generating positive returns till the end of October and then fell off sharply. This is because the only stocks I hold are mid and small caps and they have been beaten down in the current environment of extreme uncertainty with respect to the currency depreciation and Eurozone problems.


Although, I do not expect a great turn around in 2012, I would continue to deploy most of my savings to stocks. This is primarily because I am more convinced about the future of businesses to generate above inflation returns than any other form of investment I am aware of. With the market fall, stocks (specially the small and mid-cap variety) are available at good valuations for someone with a reasonably long time horizon. I am not very concerned about short term currency fluctuations and other issues. I don't expect basic business demand & supply to alter based on macro economic concerns, and good and resilient businesses should be able to weather the storm.



Serial #
Name of Company
% of Portfolio (Dec'11)
% of Portfolio (Jan'11)
Since Jan'11
Comments
1
Astral Poly
4.94%
0.00%
New
Accumulate
2
Balaji Amines
5.19%
8.34%
Down
Hold
3
Balkrishna Industries
4.49%
3.59%
Down
Accumulate
4
Cravatex
4.22%
0.00%
New
Hold
5
Elecon Engg
2.43%
0.00%
New
Accumulate
6
GEI Industrial
3.77%
0.00%
New
Accumulate

Hira Ferro
0
5.12%
Sold


Indag Rubber
0
0.95%
Sold

7
JK Lakshmi Cement
2.38%
3.32%
Down
Accumulate very slowly
8
Lloyd Electric
1.67%
5.03%
Down
Hold
9
Manjushree Tech
3.70%
0.00%
New
Hold
10
Mayur Uniquoters
10.44%
5.29%
Up
Accumulate aggressively on every dip
11
Opto Circuits
6.05%
8.32%
Down
Hold
12
PI Industries
6.51%
0.00%
New
Accumulate

Pidilite
0
0.00%
Sold

13
Poly Medicure
1.34%
0.00%
New
Hold

RSWM
0
6.68%
Sold

14
Shriram TransFi
7.37%
10.90%
Down
Accumulate aggresively on every dip
15
Sintex India
4.02%
9.97%
Down
Accumulate aggresively on every dip
16
Supreme Ind
16.86%
20.65%
Down
Hold

Supreme Infra
0
3.64%
Sold

17
Titan Industries
4.36%
0.00%
New
Accumulate very slowly
18
Yes Bank
6.86%
5.88%
Up
Accumulate
19
Cash
3.21%
0.09%
Up

20
Nifty Put Option
0.19%
0.00%
New


2 comments:

  1. Hi Abhishek,
    I regularly follow your blog.. thanks for wonderful analysis.
    It might be great if you can put your average price as well in your portfolios. For passive passive investors [the 'SIP guys' :)]) like me, it may be useful info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I think, it is important to build your own conviction when investing in stocks. That comes from studying the companies you are investing in and keeping yourself abreast of any new developments. Putting my average buying price, will only add to the noise in the system!

      Can you buy or sell at that price? What is the guarantee that I have bought at the right price? Our investment objectives and time horizons maybe different, so we may react differently to different market circumstances.

      The only reason I have this page on my blog is as a disclaimer that I typically write about stocks which I have stakes in. For example, I had mentioned that Sintex was a buy at 50-55 levels. I bought back more than my original quantity at 52.

      Delete